hit tracker

Tuesday, 24 April 2012

The First Dog.

        I was about 6 when I got my first dog. I named her Abby. She was a hyperkinetic Aspin, whose main connection to her world was through barking. I was given the dog, so that I will learn to be responsible. But the reality was I was at school most of the time, and my mother is not a dog lover so she neglected poor Abby to long stints outside our house. I remember the routine my mom laid down for me. Feed the dog, tie the dog outside, walk the dog-repeat. But because I was a child and undependable, my mom eventually took over these duties, and this did not make her happy.


   

       As I look back, I wish my family and I had been more aware of Abby's miserable situation. I wish I had objected to her confinement. I regret the times I ignored her as she looked at me, tail wagging, training at the end of her leash. I took my dog for granted plain and simple. Then one day while I was at school, Abby escaped from her chain and wandered onto our busy neighborhood. For weeks, I tried to look for her, but I failed. This was one of my first lessons in life.  The pain of losing someone you love, especially someone you had taken for granted. I learned what it was to lose a dog.

       Now, several years later, I think of the sad story of my dog as the beginning of my awareness of how important and strong one's love can be for others, including canine companions. I find some solace in knowing mine is not a unique story about a girl and her dog. How many other stories like these are buried in the long and lost history of dogs? The very fact that this distant relative of the feared and mysterious wolf has found its way into the hearts of millions upon millions of people is a remarkable story in itself, and within that history are countless untold stories of love and affection.

      If dogs, did not exist we'd have to invent them. They are clean, cheerful, brave, and faithful. they consistently display the best qualities of humans and few, if any, of the bad ones. They are the only species in the animal kingdom to have truly embraced human beings, and when it comes to friendship, they put us to shame. they give unconditional love and undying loyalty in return for regular meals and an occasional pat on the head.



      We are literally and legally their masters, with absolute power of life and death over them. We are their reason for being, after a thousand generations of controlled breeding, puppies are born genetically programmed to please humans, and they grow up to be devoted friends whose goodwill enriches our lives. And many of us seem to have built-in attraction to dogs, after a thousand generation of living with them, perhaps we've evolved dogness receptors in our brains.

       The relationship between dogs and humans is the oldest, most durable and most complex alliance between two species in history. The wolves from which dogs evolved were probably domesticated during the Stone Age, but precisely what first brought Man and Dog together is still a mystery.
 

       Dog keen senses enable them to read us, the average dog has a vocabulary of several dozen words and can interpret human facial expressions and body language with remarkable accuracy. They have an intense affinity for humans. Dogs have been eager accomplices in all manner of humans endeavor from war to Frisbee.  They serve as eyes for the blind and ears for the deaf, as therapists and rescuers, as detectives and beasts of burden. Canis Familiaris is, after all, a custom species, we have bred dogs into a wide variety of shapes and sizes the better to hunt, tend our livestock, defend our homes, or just sit in our laps.
 

      Unfortunately, we do not always return their devotion. We confine them for long periods in basements, garages or rooms, in metal cages euphemistically called "kennels". We chain them up in spaces we call yards. We breed them into grotesque mutations, systematically mutilating them in the process, we crop their ears, dock their tails, or even surgically debark them. We exploit them cruelly for our amusement, if we get tired of them, we abandon them in streets or surrender them to animal shelters where most of them are eventually destroyed. We use them in medical research, despite mounting evidence that their sacrifice contributes little to the advancement of science. We get their fur, to complete our wardrobe. They are even butchered and eaten in some countries. We impute human values to them that they don't possess and then punish them for not living up to our expectations. We betray their trust, and thereby fail to be worthy of it.



     But fortunately, some of us do reciprocate their ardor. Some of us are fans.I myself find dogs irresistible.



In my next blog, I will be featuring one of the most amazing dog owner that I know, she does not know this yet, but I am sure that she will be surprise to read her name here. I will be featuring Jennie Fajardo Panes, the owner of Pup Culture located at


  • Unit E, Ground Floor, Fort Palm Spring Condominium, 1st Avenue
  • 1634 Fort Bonifacio, Philippines
  • email:  pupculture.philippines@gmail.com
  • contact number:  0923.879.58.40
http://apps.facebook.com/nextpetmodel/index.php?g=126&fb_source=direct

Let us all help my Furfriend Bratley win Bow and Wow Next Pet Model! Cast your votes now! 

      For any suggestions, please do not hesitate to leave me a message. Thank you! Arf arf!

3 comments :

  1. awwww.... kawawa naman un dogs :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I just stumbled upon your site while googling for dog shampoos lol. Great site by the way!

    I can relate to your story. I lived in the Philippines when I was a child and had a dog when I was 5. I didn't like him tied up so I let him loose. Unfortunately, he went missing and ended up as a snack by drunken neighbors. It was a strange thing for a five year old to see a well loved pet skewered with a bamboo passing before my eyes. My mom tried to make me forget by getting rid of pictures/toys of my dog. But one never forgets about a friend specially one raised as a newborn pup 'till adulthood. Anyway, I didn't have any pets after that experience until 25 years later. Now, I have 2 awesome dogs amongst other pets.

    I recently visited the Philippines. The conditions of strays there is really disheartening. I hope someday more people will see them as more than 'just a dog' but also another creature with feelings. We call them man's best friend yet many fail to really understand the meaning of that. Even if man doesn't reciprocate the love a dog gives, it'll never leave its master's side. It'll endure all hardships and still wag its tail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ellen,

      Thank you for visiting my blog :) I really hope that people will consider dogs as family members that they need to protect against people with bad intentions.

      Delete

I encourage healthy discussion on my blog. :)