hit tracker

Monday, 7 May 2012

To Breed or not To Breed

The dog overpopulation problem in this country is staggering. Thousands of young, healthy dogs are euthanized each year because thousands of people are breeding dogs indiscriminately. There are simply not enough homes for all the dogs that are born. If you are going to breed your dog, you need to have only one real reason for doing so: because your dog is an exceptional example of its breed and deserves to pass its genes on.
How do you know if your dog is worthy of being bred? It's not an easy question to answer, but here are some guidelines.

First, you must start with a quality dog from a RESPONSIBLE BREEDER. Again, RESPONSIBLE BREEDER. You must research the breed and learn about it's problems as well as it's qualities. having a dog that is registered with a recognized kennel club (PCCI, AKUPI, etc) is not enough. Puppy mill puppies are often registered with PCCI, AKUPI. That, alone, means absolutely nothing. The PCCI, AKUPI registers dogs is much the same way that LTO registers cars. I've seen some horribly unhealthy, unstable and overall poorly bred dogs that are registered with PCCI and AKUPI, why? well do they even check the place of the breeder to see if he can provide a sound environment for the dogs? Now, tell me if I am just fabricating stories.
THE PUPPY MILL
I'm sure you've heard the terms backyard breeder and puppy mill. A puppy mill is a for profit business that breeds unproved dogs, producing huge quantities of puppies, making money is their ultimate goal. A backyard breeder also breeds unproved dogs, perhaps with the intention of making money, but more often they simply want to breed their dogs and are not concerned with the quality of their puppies, or worst they don't even care if their dog has a hereditary illness that can be passed on from one generation to another, so what I am pointing at is, if your dog is suffering from Hip Dysplasia, it would be necessary for you to spay/neuter your dog, that's the right thing to do.
Dog Suffering from Hip Dysplasia
A responsible breeder, knows what his dog can contribute to the improvement of the breed.

Now, How is your dog's temperament? there are specific temperament characteristics for each breed that must be clearly demonstrated before breeding is considered. You have a responsibility to the dogs, to potential buyers, and to the future of the breed, so only breed the best of the best.

I am not against breeding dogs as long as it is being done responsibly, but I still urge all of you to make ADOPTION your first option. And only purchase your dogs from responsible breeders. And one think more, DO NOT GET A DOG JUST BECAUSE YOUR FRIENDS AND NEIGHBOR HAS ONE. OWNING A DOG IS LIKE HAVING A CHILD ITS A LIFETIME COMMITMENT! IF YOU THINK THAT YOU ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE ENOUGH TO TAKE CARE OF ANOTHER LIVING BEING, PLEASE DO NOT GET A PET!!!!! MESSAGE ME AND I WILL JUST SEND YOU A STUFFED TOY. BY THE WAY IF YOU REALLY WANT A DOG, BREED SHOULD NEVER BE AN ISSUE, THERE ARE DOGS FOR ADOPTION AT PAWS AND CARA.



If you have any questions or violent reactions regarding the contents of my blog, please feel free to let me know, I am willing to have a healthy discussion with anyone. 

If you want to suggest anything, you can email me at akvicencio@gmail.com  



6 comments :

  1. Kristine, praises to you for a very nice blog, and on a subject matter that is very dear to many-- animal welfare. As a blogger, I am pleased to see others blog and express their opinions. Agreement is of secondary importance. The exchange of ideas is of paramount importance and usually, but not always, leads to knowledge.

    Having said that, I can say that there are people like me, and there are many like me, who unequivocally disagree with breeding, usually, dogs for pets. As a shelter volunteer, it easy for me to reach this opinion. The reason is obvious. Furthermore, I feel that mixing animals with money/profit spells trouble. That's how circuses, zoos, and marine parks work and continue to exists, largely on the backs of captive animals. You can add breeders to that list because breeders lack the altruism of true animal lovers. I could be wrong, if there are breeders that give away their bred dogs for free. I don't think they exists really. Adopt, NEVER buy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sir Ted,

      Thank you so much for visiting and appreciating my blog. I agree with what you have said that mixing animals with money spells trouble. I know that I can learn a lot from you in regards to animal welfare, and thank you so much for sharing your wisdom with me. :)

      Delete
  2. Well said, Kristine. Sadly, I think there are way too many irresponsible breeders of dogs in the Philippines. All you have to do is look at all the dog group discussions, all the ads on sulit, etc... People like to say the love their dogs and that they are for responsible pet ownership, yet can't even wait for the puppy they bought to grow up... It seems the most awaited event in their dog's life isn't it's birthday, but it's first heat (and then the succeeding heat, etc).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bong, thank you for reading my blog. I agree!, there are tons of irresponsible dog breeders in the Philippines. I've read before that there are 37 dog breeds that has been extinct due to mishandled breeding of dogs. and I really hope that breeders would start to realize that breeding is not about them getting money, it's about the BREED, so they need to make sure that they are breeding to improve the breed and not to destroy it. But still I urge people to make adoption their first option. :)

      Delete
  3. Hello KriSTine . . ! ! I Im Gonna Breed A ASPIN AND LABRADOR . .! ! Does The Puppy Gonna Turn ASKAL Or ASPin . .! !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous, thank you for visiting my blog.
      To answer your question, if you will cross a Labrador and an Aspin the offspring is definitely a dog. But if you would like to know, if it would be an Askal or an Aspin, it would depend on you. If you are a responsible person, then it would be an Aspin because it would have a family that would take good care of it. But if you are irresponsible, then it would still be an Aspin though it is not part of a family. But then again, if you read my article, you need to have a reason why you want to breed.

      Delete

I encourage healthy discussion on my blog. :)