hit tracker

Thursday, 1 November 2012

Guest Post from Steve Manik of Dog Help Network: How to save your dog from rat poison effects



How to save your dog from rat poison effects

Rat poison can be the most deadly substance that a pet can ingest. One of the most common components of rat poison is Warfarin including various other Rodenticides. Since Warfarin is an anticoagulant chemical, it has the potential to interrupt with blood’s capacity to clot. A dog that ingests Warfarin accidentally or intentionally will die due to internal bleeding and hemorrhaging. Some of the rat poisons do not contain Warfarin. However, other chemicals present in rat poison can be as deadly to your dog. 

To know if your Dog ate rat poison, you need to observe certain symptoms: Some of these include the following stated below:
  • Pale Gums
  • Bloody nose
  • Weakness
  • Blood in the feces
  • Coughing blood
  • Blood traces in the urine
  • Firm abdomen due to internal bleeding
In most cases, dogs eat rat poison available at home. Hence, it is important to keep rat poison and dogs away from each other. Sometimes, indirect exposure of dogs to rat poison can also prove to be fatal for the dogs. This usually occurs when a dog eats a rodent that has fallen fatally ill due to the effects of Warfarin or any anticoagulant toxin. The indirect exposure will not kill the dog immediately. It shows symptoms of illness.

Treatment
 Unfortunately, most dogs who eat rat poison will die. Since the poison does not allow blood to clot, the internal bleeding and hemorrhage lead to death. The treatment options will depend on the amount of rat poison that has been ingested. The time elapsed since the poison was ingested is also considered.
Large doses of vitamin K can help the dog recover. Various other measures include IV fluids and blood transfusions are also commonly administered to provide help with dog.



Precautionary Measures
The most effective way is to avoid using rat poison. You can use a humane rodent trap in place of rat poison. These traps are available on the market in the form of a cage. These are quite effective in catching rats and other animals. Once caught, you then release the animals in a desirable location. There is no need to kill the animal or put your beloved pet in risk.
You should also focus on supervising the dog when he is outside. Also make sure you do not keep any kind of rat poison. This can prevent your dog from indirect poison exposure.
We understand that it is not easy to handle when your pet dog is exposed to poison directly or indirectly. 

When your dog ate rat poison, it is time to act before it is too late. The task is not easy. We offer comprehensive help with rat poison and dogs. Our services provide the most potent solutions to help you cope with effects of ingesting rat poison in dog.

Our major focus is on discussing various points of action, advice on changes in lifestyle and the best possible treatment for your pet. 

Check out our site for more information on seizures in dogs at www.ratpoisonanddogs.com  


About the Author:
Steve Manik  is one of the team members of  www.doghelpnetwork.com.The Dog Help Network is a resource for dog owners looking for accurate information on a variety of dog health issues, specific diseases and conditions a dog may contract in their lifetime, as well as behavioral and training information. The Dog Help Network was put together and is managed by a dedicated team of dog lovers who share an interest in dog health.  





No comments :

Post a Comment

I encourage healthy discussion on my blog. :)